Pierre Courageux signs with Helsinki Roosters
French safety Pierre Courageux signed with Helsinki Roosters for Maple League season 2017. Last season he played for Seinäjoki Crocodiles, meeting next season’s team a couple of times. Roosters DC Kari Titola is pleased Pierre is joining Roosters defense.
– Pierre played very strong season last year in Seinäjoki as free safety. He got 33 tackles, 4 breakups and two interceptions. He´ll be the back wall of our defense with his good tackling techniques.
Here are some quick answers from the player after signing.
France is more known as a soccer country than American football country. What made you choose American version of football?
– I grew up watching U.S. TV series and movies and America and its culture always attracted me. I tried a lot of sports before, but as soon as I put shoulder pads and helmet on for the first time, I knew it was the right sport for me. It’s a mix of technique, tactics, team spirit and contact sport.
Last season you played for Seinäjoki Crocodiles. Could you tell us more about your football career?
– It started 11 years ago in 2005, in a small town called Vannes in France. I quickly wanted to learn more, the best way possible. So after a couple of seasons playing at different levels in France between Vannes and Le Mans, I decided to change over to a school in Canada. I played there one season before shifting to McGill University.
– After a year I came back to France and joined the Thonon Black Panthers, where we won the French National Title. Then I signed with the Crocs and we ended up, as you know, in final against Roosters. Since 2014 I’m really proud to have been part of the French National Team. I played against Finland in the last European Championship Games.
Now you have seen one season of Maple League football. What is the difference between French league and Finnish league? (Is there any differences or similarities?)
– Depending on the team, the Maple League level is quite the same as French first division, but the four best Maple League teams could outclass many French first division teams. The difference is mainly how the teams are structured. The budget is bigger in Finland, there are more people in the stands in Finland too and we don’t broadcast any games on TV in France.
What made you choose Helsinki Roosters for season 2017?
– The Roosters are 5th time in a row the Maple League champions. They know how to compete at the best level of Europe. They have been building and created a really smart and tough football team, who really has played together the past few years. I’m sure I’ll learn a lot playing for them.
What are your expectations for the next season?
– Help the team capture another Maple Bowl.
Any message to Roosters fans?
– I’m really happy to play for the Roosters. I’ll put all the effort necessary to help the team getting better. I can’t wait to see you all at our first game in the Velodromi.
Pierre joins the team in the end of April, just in time for traditional May Day celebrations in Finland. Helsinki Roosters warmly welcomes him back to Maple League fields wearing Red!
Text Pekka Lylyharju