Lea Kaszas joins the team
Helsinki Roosters Women has signed Lea Kaszas for next season. After last season, playing for Turku Anders Trojans Women, she was named to All Star team both on offense and defense. Her name can be found on top of many last season statistics and she can play in several positions. Rightly delighted Roosters Women’s offensive coordinator Anni Kivikataja is a little secretive about Lea Kaszas’s position coming season.
– At the moment Lea’s position on the field is open. She can play in different roles in offence, defense or special teams. Maybe we leave something to chew for our opponents.
Here are some quick answers from the player after signing.
You started your career in Thee Toledo Reign and since you played for Indy Crash in Women’s Football Alliance, but how you ended up choosing to play American football at the beginning?
– I always joke and say that I didn’t find American football, it found me. I had just moved to the United States from Canada and was looking for some sort of physical activity to keep me busy. I played multiple sports in high school and really missed the competition and feeling of being a part of a team.
– I made some new friends and they told me that they played tackle football; they convinced me to try out. I didn’t really know anything about football at the time but thought, why not?
– When I got to the field the first day, I met the coach and she told me to go jog my laps. After sprinting two times around the field I got back and she told me, you’re hired! Since then I’ve been hooked on football and can’t imagine my life without it.
What made you come back to Finland and Roosters Women for season 2017?
– I knew as soon as my season ended last year in Finland that I wanted to come back the next summer. It was one of the best experiences of my life and I really wanted the chance to do it again. Finland is an amazing country and the people were terrific. I loved being a part of the Trojans, and competing in the Women’s Maple League.
– Unfortunately it didn’t work out for me to return to the Trojans this season but I am happy to say that I found a home with the Roosters. They were by far our toughest competition and it was easy to tell that they were well coached and an extremely professional organization. I look forward to learning a lot from their coaches and veteran teammates.
What are your expectations for the next season?
– This coming season I hope to push myself to be in the best physical shape of my football career. I know that the Roosters work extremely hard and I plan to do the same. I’m not sure which positions the coaches have in store for me, but I am open for anything and welcome the challenge of trying something new if need be.
– I hope to add as much to the Roosters offensive and defensive attack as I did with the Trojans. I think 2017 will be an incredible season and I very much look forward to meeting my new teammates and getting out there and working hard with them.
Any message to Roosters fans?
To the Roosters fans, I hope that you are as excited as I am for me to be a part of the Red Family!
Lea joins the team in May. Roosters Women warmly welcomes her to Women’s Maple League fields wearing very becoming Red!
Teksti: Pekka Lylyharju / Roosters Media&Communication team